Creative Blends

So I've seen several science fiction/dystopian novels lately that seem to be blending things in a new way. Of course, I love having science fiction IN my dystopia, and I think that's a natural, easy blend. I also love seeing some sort of paranormal aspect mixed in with dystopia, as I think this is a win/win on many levels.

One novel I was not expecting to blend genres so effortlessly was CINDER by Marissa Meyer. Have you read it?

I'll freely admit that I don't read back cover copy. I want to go into a book cold. But from the title and the general buzz, I knew CINDER was a retelling of Cinderella--with cyborgs. Okay. Some science fiction there, which by the way, I found awesome. I mean, fairy tales and sci fi? That's like win/win/win.

I did not expect to find even more science fiction in the novel. Like, hard core, spaceship science fiction.

And it was awesome.

If you haven't read CINDER, you should give it a try.

Do you like novels that blend genres? What are some of your favorites? 

1 comment:

Susan Oloier said...

I've heard good things about this book, but have not yet read it. Probably because my TBR list has been huge for such a long time.