Post-Apocalypse Survival for the One Percent

For Jeff's release week, I blogged about how to survive the collapse. Well, I have an addition to the list--for those of you who aren't among the 99% of us with less than few million dollars jingling in our pockets. As I was leafing through a back issue of Popular Science (doing a little research for a new book), I stumbled upon the Terra Vivos Underground Shelter.  When I read the article, I thought, oh, this is sounds very reasonable (and pop science-y)--all about modular, luxury emergency shelters like this below.




But then I checked out the company's web site.  Vivos is building a network of shelters, which you can buy into for $10K. (Kind of like a survival co-op.) Or you can build your own for substantially more. That doesn't sound like that batshit of an idea. But ...well, their goal is to complete construction of this network before 12/21/12. Just in case. Yep, the supposed end of the world according to non-existent Mayan prophecy. And if you poke around the website a little more (and watch a few videos)  ... Let's just say, had I not read about this in Popular Science first, I would have thought Vivos was either an elaborate joke (ala the Yes Men) or a cult. Or both.

Okay, I still think it's a bit culty. Vivos even refers to itself as the new Genesis. Plus they talk about the Quickening, 2012, and Glenn Beck thinks this is a good idea. Yikes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that just goes to prove that sometimes real life IS stranger than fiction.

Monica Zepeda said...

Do you get to choose who your co-op survivors are? If not, I think I might prefer to face the zombie horde.

Sage Ravenwood said...

I can only say, the best books come from real life. This would make an interesting dystopian. (Hugs)Indigo

Matthew MacNish said...

You had me until Glenn Beck.

Angie Smibert said...

Yep, this is great fodder for dystopia, Indigo.

and Matthew, that is the best line of the day. ;)

Anonymous said...

*is laughing* Well, stuff like this will take care of all the people who did not use their brains to get rich.

I just love hearing about 2012. So many ridiculous and wonderful apocalypse or dystopia story ideas.

I should write a blog post about gleaning inspiration from 2012 nonsense...

Riv Re said...

I actually just found the same PopSci issue in my house (October '10, right?). It's definitely hysterical. "We're not providing life insurance. We're providing life assurance." *headdesk* Really, 12/21/2012? Huh. But what if the zombies come before then? *quakes with fear* -_-