We Are Going To Steal ... The Moon!


Okay, so I've always been fascinated with the moon. The other heavenly bodies in our solar system. Outer space. I enjoy thinking about it, about going there, maybe walking on the moon.

But I don't read a lot of science fiction that involves the moon. Sure, I've seen Jupiter and some outer planet moons or whatnot. But I'm hungry for a good story about the moon.


I can watch Apollo 13 over and over; I think a lot of us can. I think the moon holds a mystery over us because it is so dangerous to go there, because it's somewhere we've never been, and somewhere we can't really fully imagine. I want a book that will take me there.


And I liked FEED, but it's not *really* about the moon. (It is however, a superb book.) So yeah. Is there a book out there that is really about the moon?


What kind of science fiction are you hungry for right now?

4 comments:

Charity Bradford said...

OMGosh! Elana you have to read the book that turned me into a sci fi reader. It's old, so the style of writing is nothing like the level of today's writing, but it is about the moon and I loved it.

Moonwind by Louise Lawrence

Quick Summary: One of two teenage winners of a trip to earth's first lunar base falls in love with an astral extraterrestrial who has been stranded on the moon for thousands of years and who needs his help to repair her spaceship so she can return home.

I had to buy mine from a used library book seller because I couldn't find it anywhere else. Other books of hers that I still think about 20 years after reading them: Children of the Dust, Calling B for Butterfly and Andra.

She was getting banned from the libraries in the 80's! Here's her website link.
Louise Lawrence

Angie Smibert said...

A classic sf story about the moon is Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Also, have you seen MOON with Sam Rockwell? Great flick.

K.V. Briar said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I have to say I'm also completely facinated my the moon! It's so close (relatively speaking) and so untouchable. I'd love to read some good sci-fi about a colony on the moon. Hmmm.... might have to do some research and look around for something!

Tere Kirkland said...

Oh, MOON! Love Sam Rockwell, and that movie made me hopeful about the future of sci-fi movies as a whole.

But I immediately thought of "This Place has no Atmosphere", which was one of my faves as a kid. One of the first YA (soft) sci-fi novels I remember reading. Wow, I can't believe I forgot about that one.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1788950.This_Place_Has_No_Atmosphere