What's In Your Pantry?

Okay, so this week we've been discussing foods in dystopian and science fiction novels. Let me just get this out there: I'm not much of a cook. Sure, spaghetti and stuff like that, but that hardly counts as "cooking."

So I thought of the YA dystopian novels I've read the past little while and what the people eat. HOW I LIVE NOW is brilliantly done, what with the way the chocolate becomes so important. But I decided on LIFE AS WE KNEW IT and THE SCORCH TRIALS.

In those two novels, food primarily comes from a can. So today, I give you a food storage recipe, one you supposedly can make with what you already have in your pantry. So if the apocalypse gets triggered tonight, tomorrow you can have Mexican casserole! Ole!

Ingredients:
1 family size package Kraft macaroni and cheese
1 can (12 3/4 oz) canned chicken
1 T. dehydrated onion flakes
1 can chili with beans
1 can tomato soup
1 T. chili powder
1 can corn
Cheddar cheese, cubed (optional--and you could use powdered cheese if you'd like.)
Fritos (optional--I mean, obviously. But who doesn't have like 50 bags of Fritos stored up??)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Cook Kraft dinner according to directions in large pot. Meanwhile, heat chicken with onion flakes. Add to Kraft dinner with remaining ingredients. Heat through. Pour into casserole dish and top with fritos. Cover and bake 30 minutes.

Of course, this is assuming life in post-apocalyptic wherever-you-live still allows you to heat up your oven. Yeah, maybe you better get a cord of wood chopped and stored in the backyard, just in case.

And that concludes food week dystopian style! Hope you found at least something to set your mind at ease about the impending demise of the universe. Ha ha!

What would you eat post-apocalypse? What food do you want to try from your favorite dystopian or science fiction novel?

4 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

What fun! When you live in a post apocalyptic dystopia, and have to hike all day to get anywhere, food from a can tastes great. Trust me. I know.

lotusgirl said...

I have some freeze dried stuff stored up. That's assuming I can get any clean water. I've got some of that but not near enough to rehydrate all the food. Hmm. Apparently, I need water.

Angie Smibert said...

Elana, you are the winner of the canned food Quickfire challenge! (Sorry, I've seen far too many episodes of Top Chef!)

B.E. Sanderson said...

That recipe sounds like an awesome post-apocalyptic meal. I guess if I was still alive after the big event, I'd eat whatever I could find. Although, the thought of eating bugs and slugs grosses me out. I'd to it if I had to, but please don't make me have to. :shudder: